Saturday 5 August 2017

W.M.U Cookery Book

Hi beautiful

It's been a long time between blog posts! I've been posting daily on Instagram for the #1yearofstitches challenge. Yet here I am.

What's prompted me? Well it's this little charmer of a cookery book. A little the worse for wear, held together by an elastic band and masking tape!
Front Cover 
This is the 15th edition (1938) published by the Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union in Brisbane. Very popular in its day, a must for every self respecting housewife. This one belonged to my paternal grandmother. It's a real treasure, not just for the recipes and helpful hints but also because sprinkled throughout are scraps of paper with recipes jotted down by my grandmother, my mother and my paternal aunt. 

Here's a few gems. 
Household Hints p.262

Brief hints p.xxi

I can vouch for this pumpkin cake too! Here t'is in my mother's handwriting. It's time to bake this one.
Recipe
And what a mixed bag of advertisers! 
Advertisers - page xv

This book is a family heirloom I think. My sister is the cook of the family now, so this one is yours sis. 

It's time to start cooking! 

Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment