Monday 8 May 2017

Experimenting with leaves and bark

Hi beautiful

I've had lots of fun playing with natural dyeing and learning heaps as I go. There's so much information out there both in print and on the Internet and so many talented people! 

I'm noting my journey in my daily diary of course! Here are a few highlights so far.

Firstly, dyeing wool yarn.
Wool yarn - showing original and dyed
For my records, I've wound each different yarn on a numbered peg and listed the plant used.

1. Eucalyptus leaves (local park) - used iron nails as the fixing agent or mordant. 5 ply wool crepe yarn - white.
2. Eucalyptus leaves (Advancetown Lake) - no mordant used. 8 ply wool #0
3. Brown onion skins - used iron nails. 8 ply wool #0
4. Basil leaves - used iron nails. 8 ply wool #0
5. Eucalyptus bark (local park) - no mordant. 8 ply wool #0
6. As #5 above with different yarn. 8 ply wool Checkheaton #00
7. Orange peels - no mordant. 8 ply wool #0
8. As #7 above with different yarn. 8 ply wool Checkheaton #00

Wool yarn dyed

Eucalyptus tree - used bark fallen from this burl for #5
Brown onion skins - cotton linen napkin
Lots of fun!

Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment