Tuesday 6 September 2016

Turkmen and Mountmellick

Hi beautiful

Rest after chores, lovely. Time to do some stitching.

Prompted by Sharon B's blog, TAST (Take a Stitch Tuesday), I'm enjoying learning some more embroidery stitches. This past week, the stitch to use was Turkmen. So practice followed by application.

Here's my practice piece. Turkmen stitch is rows 1,2,4,7 (from top to bottom). I had to mix it up with some other chain stitches - for variety! 
Variety of chain stitches
Turkmen stitch is also known as double chain. The rows in blue are square chain stitch. The loopy stitch is rosette chain stitch and is done in crochet cotton. All others use stranded cottons.

My hankie cloth is the perfect piece to apply my newly learnt stitches. (See my previous post, Hankie Cloth on my take of recycling hankies.) 


Turkmen stitch - on right
And then I had to try another stitch - Mountmellick, a linear stitch from Irish Mountmellick embroidery.
Mountmellick stitch edging
Here is the meeting of Turkmen and Mountmellick applied to the edge of one of the hankies.

Green and gold edging
If you're interested in stitching, take a look at Sharon B's incredibly helpful site - Pintangle. 

Now that was a productive "rest"!

Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment